Can Health Be A Reflection of Your Marriage?
I read an intriguing article online yesterday that I thought deserved commenting on (article linked below for review). It gave an overview of a few research studies on the affect of marriage on health, highlighting the notion that married individuals enjoy a better state of health. Some of the factors they reviewed were lowered antisocial behavior for young males who married later on, lower risk of colon cancer and an improved survival rate for even coronary heart bypass surgery. As a medical doctor, I’m always interested in research that seeks to provide better insight on the relationship between matters of the heart and health, as I believe many health ailments are a result of issues born in the heart, mind, and spirit that is oftentimes overlooked. More importantly, as a child of the Heavenly Father and Great Physician, I know from Scripture that God created us with the intention to enjoy an abundant life overflowing with joy, health, and love. He created the first loving relationship by simply creating us! Then, He created the first marriage and couple in Adam & Eve. When God saw that Adam was not as content as could be despite the surrounding wildlife and nature, God created Eve out of Adam’s rib to fashion a partner after his own heart to enjoy life with…
- Genesis 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
- Genesis 2:22-23 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
Notice how in Gen 2:18 God said that is was NOT good for man to be alone, but to be in a partnership with someone suitable for him to enjoy life with. Being in a marriage ordained by the Living God is a good thing, and is a blessing to be cherished and nurtured.
- Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
- Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
On an earthly level, some of us have been fortunate enough to experience how being in a secure, loving marriage uplifts your quality of life and feeds your soul. When you know you have a partner that has dedicated their life to being with you , who will bear with you through “thick and thin”, support you and defend your union, who will remain faithful to you through all trials and be your team-player in life, there is no better feeling. You have truly found a “home” in that marriage.
That is not to say that marriage is easy; of course it requires dedication and hard work to bring two lives together to become “one” as the Lord says. You have both HIS-tory and HER-story to meander and work through to create a new life as a family. However, when Jesus Christ is the center of your marriage, and its foundation is on solid Biblical truths, the marital path carved for the two is much smoother as you are “equally yoked”. As a result, you are in complete union in mind, heart, body, and spirit. There is less strife, strain, resentment, depression, and warring of spirits since you are both under Christ and agree on moral values. Therefore, both partners would enjoy improved health and well-being, as God blessed marriage to be.
On a spiritual level, a godly marriage also reflects on earth the heavenly marriage we entered into with God through Jesus Christ as our Savior. Just as in an earthly marriage, fidelity, faith, love, and honor are essential to upholding our marriage to God in Jesus:
- Jeremiah 3:14 Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:
- Hosea 2:19-20 And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies. I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the LORD.
Therefore, a healthy & godly marriage can bring forth blessings in physical, emotional, and spiritual health for both partners and their children. It’s nice to see that earthly science is revealing what God already showcased in His Living Word!